Sunday, September 19, 2010

Cultivation Theory

Cultivation theory is a concept in which people's views of the world are dependent upon the way the media  portrays it.

The media portrays a world.  Many times those creating this mediated world try to pass it off as reality, but in truth, it is more a caricature of reality. The difference lies in the fact that media needs to be enticing and exciting in order to get the good ratings, thus highlighting certain aspects of society.  One such aspect often times exploited by the media for more viewers is violence.  As said in the book, people who watch a lot of television are more likely to think they are in danger of a violent crime than those who don't. Cultivation theory says that frequent viewing or intake of media will cause a person to adopt the mediated view of reality.

As an avid viewer of television, many times thriller shows or cop drama, I can honestly say that I am a product of cultivation theory.  As someone who often times finds herself walking home from a club meeting after dark, I can honestly say that I think I will be attacked and then found by Benson and Stabler. My doors are always locked, I'm in the market for mace, and I'm always watching the route the cabby takes in case he decides to hijack the car and I need to barrel roll out of there.  The question is whether this paranoia stems from reality or the fact that my mother watches nothing but Law and Order, Criminal Minds, and Cold Case Files.  Those that believe Cultivation Theory would attribute it to the latter.  The following example may have me agree with them.

Ever since I saw this scene, I have assumed that this happens at all rest stops.

Rest Stop Scene from Criminal Minds

...obviously this is the end of rest stops for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment